Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tooting My Own Horn, and Introducing Henry!

Henry especially likes juicy berries. ©Cheryl Kirk Noll
On September 29, 2012, I was featured on Kathy Teamen's blog, Writing and Illustrating. She has a regular feature, "Illustrator Saturday," with extensive interviews of dozens of fabulous illustrators, from Dan Santat to Brian Lies to Susan Jeffers, and many, many more.  I'm honored to be included in this treasure trove of information about the lives and creative process of children's book illustrators.

To read my interview, which includes lots of information about my student days at RISD, and my illustration process, go to:
http://kathytemean.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/illustrator-saturday-cheryl-kirk-noll/

Kathy was on a retreat when she put up the information, and had a hard time with a bad internet connection. Consequently, you'll find several things repeated, and she wasn't able to put up my new  work, so...

 I want to introduce my latest project, a picture book dummy about a vivacious hedgehog named Henry. Working on Henry has been such fun that I wanted to share him.


There is never enough time in the day for Henry. ©Cheryl Kirk Noll

As I mentioned in the interview, I've been writing up a storm.  I dummied up this story, (that means I made a prototype of the book, with sketches, words in place, and a few finished illustrations) and it  is currently being considered by a few publishers.  I have my fingers crossed.

Henry loves to swim, and fish, and chase after whirlwinds. ©Cheryl Kirk Noll


Henry is always on the lookout for slimy slugs and chewy grubs. YUM! ©Cheryl Kirk Noll

Occasionally Henry likes to rest, but only if it's outside. ©Cheryl Kirk Noll



4 comments:

  1. Love the story AND the pictures, Cheryl - good luck with your submission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry has come a long way since this post. I loved seeing his adventures in the crisp sparkling snow. I forget your wording, but your text is as wonderful as the art.
    I just subscribed to your email posts with a new email address. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete